Thursday, July 27

Be Your Own Ms. Frizzle for Your MIDDLE SCHOOL Students

I teach 7th grade English Language Arts, though my first year was in 6th grade, and my student teaching was in 8th grade, so I've literally seen the whole gambit of ages. Whenever someone outside of education learns of my career in middle school, they, without fail, offer sympathy about the awkward and immature nature of that age range. Truth is, although they're not totally wrong about my students being awkward or immature, there are countless times I've been left completely speechless by what I've seen, heard, or smelled in my classroom, it's this in-between, gray area that makes this age the most enjoyable to teach.

Simply put, middle schoolers, especially 7th graders, are young enough to still want to please you but old enough to understand sarcasm. This is the magic combination where children become "people". Of course, there is silly drama, occasional tears, and unsolicited attitudes, but the middle school classroom is not nearly as bad as it is often perceived. Looking to make a jump to a middle school classroom? Start by channeling Ms. Frizzle.

I know, who didn't love Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus? Even tweens and teens can still appreciate how bubbly and excited she was about learning every day. Okay, fine, maybe middle schoolers aren't excited all the time, but there is something to be said about being excited about what we teach. My students literally call me out every time I say, "this is my favorite unit of the year," because I repeat it with every unit I introduce out of genuine excitement. Just because they are in middle school doesn't mean that students are too mature to feel a contagious wonder. There's a buy-in that comes with being the quirky teacher, a trust that needs to be established, a mantra that needs to be instilled: "There is a method to my madness."

Being quirky is awesome and super effective in the middle school setting but only if you can back it up with purposeful and engaging material that doesn't waste their time. Part of why kids love Ms. Frizzle, aside from her being a super fun elementary teacher, is because she is incredibly knowledgable. Having that balance is key in order for students to trust you and appreciate your unique approach to the material.

When you think about it, middle schoolers are still kids, learners who'd prefer to run than sit, compete than collaborate, and let's face it, text than write. By channeling your inner Ms. Frizzle, engaging students doesn't need to be a daunting task. Of course, it won't be as epic as a magic school bus, but my students always buy-into my process when I frame my lesson as part of something more. For standardized test prep, I structured an "Amazing Race" competition complete with prizes. Research writing? The unit was framed as the 90's game show, "Legends of the Hidden Temple" (More posts to follow on these topics, with resources!) With these concepts, the focus shifted away from the mundane routine and added new life to tedious and challenging concepts. Most importantly, if we think about what was most endearing about Ms. Frizzle, this extra effort makes the material accessible, enjoyable, and relatable for students in the middle school classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment